miércoles, 30 de diciembre de 2009

Snow White And The Seven Dwarves


It’s hard to imagine that in the world of Pixar, a movie like this could still be able to get the hairs in your arms standing up, but it could. I recently bought the Blu-Ray, since my old VHS had been rotting away for a couple of years now. Yes, I hadn’t seen this movie since I was about 8 years old. So I watched it and was ready to get some glorious cuteness, but from the first frames I was caught in. This movie is one of the greatest animated films of all time, and there are a lot of factors that add to it.

I think the main attraction for me was the animation. It seemed very realistic and life-like, and my suspicions were correct, since they did use real actors as references. Still, there are animated sequences in this film that have not been equalled in anything since. Sequences such as when the Evil Queen turns into a witch, and the creation of the poisonous apple are incredibly done. I also fell in love with the characters pretty quickly. Although both Snow White and the Prince are pretty boring and one-dimensional, the Seven Dwarves were really well-written characters, particularly Grumpy, who is full of contradictions and acts like an asshole all the time. The music is also pretty good too, particularly the three main songs done by the Seven Dwarves. Whistle While You Work and Heigh-Ho is a classic, although I think more of the Gremlins singing along every time I hear it. More interesting for me was The Silly Song, which is hilarious and the animation that goes with it is excellent.

I was also very shocked to realize how dark this damn movie is. There is a sequence where the Witch actually makes fun of a dead corpse trying to get to water, then kicks the bones around. Holy shit! The witch is pretty scary on her own, particularly thanks to that laugh of hers, but that just made her out into even more of a psychopath. Then, after Snow White gets poisoned, she is basically lynched by the Seven Dwarves. I was really distraught watching this, considering most memories you have of these films come from your childhood and you barely remember the dark and scary stuff. Dario Argento always said this film was an influence on his Suspiria, and now I get it. The ending is a fluffy happy ending, but still, this is a great fantasy film, with a very beautiful animation and delightful characters. Don’t be fooled by it’s kid’s movie look, it really is a great film. And it might just scare the living shit out of you.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario