miércoles, 24 de junio de 2009

Jason and the Argonauts

Jason and his army of athletes board a ship to find the legendary golden fleece, so they can gain the power to take over a corrupt emperor’s reign. On the way, they receive help from the Goddess Hera and fight all sorts of enemies in search of the fleece.

This is definitely one of Harryhausen’s best films, featuring some of his best animation. The Talos has always been a favorite monster of mine, I have many memories of childhood watching this movie and staring in awe at the gigantic statue. Other creatures, such as the Hydra and the Harpies, are very impressive as well, but it’s the army of skeletons at the end of the movie that really make this memorable.
Harryhausen first used a skeleton warrior in the 7th Voyage Of Sinbad, but using a gang this time made it a step-up. He’s called it his best piece of animation, and I’d find it difficult to disagree. There are some shots that I even forgot I was watching a piece of animation and felt I was watching something real. Then I laughed like an idiot at the thought of the skeletons taking direction and hitting on script girls during breaks. I need a life. The only thing I didn’t like about this film was the ending. Jason left for the fleece to take over a kingdom, but in the ending he seems to forget about it while he’s making out. The conversation between the Gods in the end gives info that there will be a sequel which never came, so that’s probably the reason for that. Still, it doesn’t affect the greatness that is this film.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario